The Bowl, situated high above Charing on top of the North Downs in a Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), was originally built as a farmhouse in 1512, and then in 1606 it became a brewhouse. It has had a long and varied history until the present licensees took charge in 1992. Alan and Sue Paine have managed to forge their own mark on this 16th Century Freehouse. For those not content to just relax in front of the log fire in the huge old inglenook or play a quiet game of cards, dominoes or shut-the-box, there is an unusual hexagonal rotating pool table. Added to this is an extensive rural garden and South facing front sun terrace which is covered and heated on those more typical English summer days! There are also facilities for camping. In 2006 we were awarded the Bronze award for Green Tourism we still carry out best Green practices but we are no longer members of the scheme.
For walkers follow this link to create yourself a walk or use a "ready made" one!